YAOUNDE (AA) – At least 24 Boko Haram militants have been killed in two days of clashes with Cameroonian army troops, an army spokesman said Tuesday.
“At least 11 Boko Haram militants were killed on Monday and 13 others on Tuesday,” lieutenant colonel Didier Badjeck told Anadolu Agency.
He said that a cache of weapons had been seized from the militants.
Around 1000 Nigerians, including 800 soldiers, reportedly fled into Cameroon late Monday night in fear of attacks by Boko Haram militants.
Nigeria is battling a five-year-old insurgency that has survived almost two years of intense military operations aimed at flushing militants out of the country’s northern region.
Since May of last year, the northeastern states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe have all remained under emergency rule.
Boko Haram turned violent in 2009 after its leader, Mohammed Yusuf, died in police custody after being captured along with a handful of followers.
© 2014, Anne Mireille Nzouankeu. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
2,409 total views, 21 views today