CAIRO (AA) – Egypt’s Interior Ministry said Saturday that it has identified six Muslim Brotherhood cells planning attacks against the country’s power plants.
The ministry said in a statement that the cells had planned attacks against electric transmission towers and power plants in six provinces.
According to the statement, some members of the cells had been arrested “and made detailed confessions about their terrorist plot”.
Egypt has been dogged by turmoil since the military unseated elected president Mohamed Morsi last year following massive opposition protests against his rule.
Local media had reported attacks on some electric transmission towers in recent weeks.
The National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy, Morsi’s main support bloc, however, has distanced itself from any “acts of riots or sabotage” in the country, reiterating that it is committed to peaceful activism.
© 2014, Hagar al-Dosoki. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
4,268 total views, 3 views today