NAIROBI (AA) – Kenyan police on Friday shot dead three men suspected of involvement in a series of attacks that recently hit Mombasa, Kenya’s second largest city, a local official has said.
According to Mombasa County Commander Nelson Marwa, the three suspects were gunned down by police near the Likoni ferryboat service on Mombasa Island.
“The suspects defied orders by police to surrender and our officers had to act swiftly,” Marwa told Anadolu Agency. “Some, however, managed to escape, but we are pursuing them.”
A pistol and a hand grenade, he noted, had been recovered from the slain suspects.
Friday’s shooting took place only hours after the county commander had accused the opposition Coalition for Reforms and Democracy (CORD) of standing behind the Mombasa attacks.
CORD’s Hassan Omar Hassan, however, a Mombasa senator, emphatically denied the allegations.
“The statement by the county commissioner is reckless. If he has any evidence against our party, he should take it to the courts – not to press conferences,” Hassan asserted.
Mombasa, a world-renowned tourist destination, has recently been hit by a spate of attacks.
On Thursday, a female German tourist was killed by unknown gunmen in Mombasa’s Old Town, where a female Russian tourist was shot dead three weeks ago.
On Sunday, four people were killed by hooded gunmen in the city’s densely populated Likoni neighborhood. The following day, two other people were killed in a bar shootout.
© 2014, Yassin Juma. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
27,877 total views, 3 views today