Kenya’s Foreign Affairs minister says the country will once again begin prosecuting suspected Somali pirates arrested by international warships patrolling the Gulf of Aden. Moses Wetangula said authorities will evaluate individual cases and could decline to prosecute pirates if the cases do not meet certain criteria. Wetangula spoke Wednesday after meeting with Catherine Ashton, the European Union’s foreign affairs and security chief, who is visiting the region to press for more help in prosecuting pirates.
Wetangula says Kenya looses close to 2billion Kenya shillings every month due to piracy activities in the high seas. He says that Kenya should not be left alone in this war, and that the EU and the US can do much more than they are currently doing not just battling the pirates in the seas. The minister says that conducting business has become very expensive especially at the coast due to these vices and that the Somalis nationals seems to be un-moved by the on goings.
Wetangula will leave the country on Thursday for the International meeting in Istanbul Turkey where the UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon will address key issues concerning piracy. It is estimated that the pirates rake in close to 100,000 million dollars from the hostages every month. Kenya is one of only two African nations to sign an agreement with the EU to take on piracy cases. Kenya earlier this year stopped accepting suspects, saying they put undue strain on the country’s congested justice system.
© 2010, Paul Mwaura. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
7,397 total views, 7 views today