Genevieve Nnaji: Africa’s Most Famous Movie Star?

Genevieve Nnaji

Nnaji found mainstream Nollywood success in 1998. Despite her popularity as an actress, she has consistently added accolades, such as singer, producer and fashion designer to her name. In 2004 she became the face of Lux soap in a highly lucrative sponsorship deal. Among other actors and actresses, she released her first album, titled No More, in 2005, following a one year acting ban. Three years later in May, Nnaji launched her clothing line St. Genevieve which was a huge success as the simple, yet elegant easy-wear clothes were a hit with the public. God’s time, they say, is the best.

Today Nollywood actress Genevieve Nnaji has made a name and carved a niche for herself in the movie industry. If there were any name that is synonymous with the budding Nigerian film industry it would be that of Genevieve Nnaji. Probably the most famous actress of the genre, Genevieve is loved and admired across Africa and beyond. Genevieve Nnaji was born on May 3, 1979 in Mbaise, Imo State, Nigeria, but grew up in Lagos the commercial capital of Nigeria. She was brought up in a relatively middle class environment, the fourth of eight children. Her father worked as an engineer and her mother a teacher. She attended the Methodist Girls College Yaba, before heading onto the University of Lagos where she was admitted to a degree in Creative Arts. While at university Genevieve began auditioning for acting jobs amongst the myriad of Nollywood projects one finds going on simultaneously in Lagos. As fortune would have it in 1998, she landed a role as an extra in Ralph Nwadike’s “Most Wanted”. This role signalled the beginning of her rise to stardom.

Such was her success that she was forced to put on hold her studies to concentrate on her budding film career.Now with over 60 films to her credit Genevieve is not just one of the hardest working actresses in Nollywood but also arguably the most successful, winning several accolades including the 2005 African Movie Academy Award (AMAA) for Best Actress. Not content with dominating the silver screen,Genevieve has also made her mark as a model and in 2004 was named the face for Lux soap in a highly lucrative sponsorship deal. That year also saw her release her debut album titled “No More”. Her latest project is “30 Days” directed by a relatively new but ambitious Nollywood director Mildred Okwo in which she plays the lead role of Chinora Onu who becomes inadvertently entangled in a political mystery, a role Genevieve has described as the most demanding of her career. What does the future hold for Genevieve, well the Nigerian Film Industry continues to grow from strength to strength and Genevieve is definitely pivotal to this, and although she has hinted about returning to complete her studies I think we will see her light up the screens for a few more years.

© 2009 – 2011, Newstime Africa. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.

13,551 total views, 49 views today

Comments
Keh says:

YOU ARE THE GREATEST FEMALE ACTRESS I EVER SEEN, AS IN NIG.

Deladem says:

Baby gal ,4 me u r de best ever.I wish am rich like u i would have married u.I lv ur movies p

George says:

Genny is the best no doubt

Vincent says:

Big sis God have blessed u and i pray he will continue to open ur ways 4 u amen, i love ur movie with emeka ike titled bloved in 2000’s keep on gene 4 life

Sarah says:

I really admire you, i think you are the best actress in Nigeria. Good luck gal.

Linda Gillespie says:

I am from the us. I have watched just about all of your movies. The ones that I have not seen yet is not because I just have not watched them. I have been trying to get hold to them. I just love your movies. You are an awesome actress. I am truly a big fan, wished that I could met you one day. If you are ever in the North Carolina area please let us know. God has truly blessed you to do your job. God bless you

ada mba says:

Gene,
You are my must watch any where any time. Also any paper carrying your face is a must buy/read by me. In fact you are the best of them all. Ride on for the ski is just the beginning for you.

Pls get married soon!

ada mba says:

Gene,
You are my must watch any where any time. Also any paper carrying your face is a must buy by me. In fact you are the best of them all. Ride up for the ski is just the beginning for you.
Pls get married soon!

gift says:

geneveive are you not planning on settling down, you are not getting any younger.

S bright says:

Hi gene ple miss u a lot but i don’t tink of dat but my qeuntion is have u married

waco says:

jenny pls try and reason with d’bang,with God this is no problem that cann’t be solve it have been long maney have been wishing u both togetherness.pls don’t listen to others advice.i am expecting good new from u both.

(queency) Nseobong says:

Gene is a very good actress I appreciate her talent, more grease to her elbow. Pls in that movie it was stephanie okere(d number young actress who speaks good English without missing tenses) who claimed to be van vicker sister not gene,

David A. Sunday-Gar says:

Hey Gene,

I do appreciate your hard work; please keep it up. You’re the best always!

karolyne wanja keziah says:

i love you Gene you are the best there is from kenya

rachael says:

my love u are the best,any other comes the second,kip it up,no one is like you,i dont know wat to say,but the truth is who will look at you and say there is any who is up to you in movie industry,show the person,and i will show you a blind and a jaelous person,kip going love.the best of all best that is what you are.

John says:

am just not moved by your movies though they are nice and i don’t like you in person too, but thus how life is, more grease to your elbow for your good work.

Nyaladzi says:

jealousy is a freedom of fools if u dnt lyk nor love her dts ur business kip it 4 urslf wi dnt wish to hear dt. genevievie u r da best nd u’l always be. God bless u my dear sis u r a role model to the new generation.

sunday says:

gene do remeber d guy who called u some time back 4 a driving job iam p/s call me if u have any thanks bye.

lisa says:

U are classy genny girl!

Brenda says:

Genevieve,you are my model and wish to speak or behave like you,you are much cultivated and well educated,keep on dear,you do encourage so many adolescence.

Hi, really enjoyed this article! Great topic.

I love you baby. you are the best of them all I pray God will keep you safe and sound so as to bring to us more interesting movies. I like this your movie with Majid Silent Scandal it’s a great movie keep it up

Beckie says:

You r d bst

soulstice says:

@ A. J. applepimp — As for “Love is wicked,” The Van Vicker movie, that actress was not genevieve nnaji — it was stephanie okereke. However, Genevieve Nnaji is my all time favorite bad girl of Nollywood!

lisa says:

Stop hating@soulstice,genny is no1.

hey genevieve you are the best says:

Hey genevieve you are the frist best actress in nigeria and omotola is the second best actress keep up your good work cause you will need it in the future

janepaula says:

u are the best of the best

Mme Diff says:

my dear u are the best ok.any other person is a second handed person

Hello Genevieve, I am from the USA, state of Mississippi, i admire your acting skill. I enjoyed the DVD Sanga Entertainment movie Upside Down and Sleepwalker Sequels. and also the one with the the actor Van Vicker when he fool you in a relationship and he was already married and you fool his wife that you was his sister when you stayed with them. you are a talented person. Sincerely, Nickname: applepimp.