BALIKESIR, Turkey (AA) – Turkish authorities took an additional 14 military pilots in for questioning on Sunday over the failed July 15 coup plot.
The pilots had been working at the 9th Main Jet Base Command, according to a police source.
The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to not being authorized to talk to the media, said the pilots were taken into custody at the base in the northwestern province of Balikesir, bringing the number of pilots detained since last Saturday to 18.
Thirteen pilots were released after questioning but five more are still being held by police.
Separately, three major generals, one brigadier general and other nine army officers allegedly linked to the failed July 15 coup were remanded in custody by Istanbul Criminal Court on Sunday.
The source said that one of the arrested officers, Recep Yuksel, is accused of being the Fetullah Terrorist Organization’s so-called army head.
Last week’s deadly coup attempt occurred when rogue elements in the Turkish military tried to overthrow the country’s democratically elected government.
Turkey’s government has repeatedly said the deadly plot, which martyred at least 246 people and injured more than 2,100 others, was organized by followers of U.S.-based preacher Fetullah Gulen.
Gulen is also accused of a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary, forming what is commonly known as the ‘parallel state’.
* Hatice Kesgin contributed to this report from Ankara.
© 2016, Cigdem Pala. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
20,927 total views, no views today