NAIROBI, Kenya(AA) – Kenya has released the remaining funds needed to relocate thousands of Internally Displaced Persons living in various makeshift camps in the East African country.
Hundreds of thousands were displaced after tribal clashes rocked the East African country following the December 2007 presidential election. According to the international displacement monitoring center, more than 309,000 were internally displaced.
Over the years, some were able to go back home after the post-election violence died down but others were forced to live in IDP camps for more than eight years.
Making the announcement Thursday, Kenyan Deputy President William Ruto said that the government has released more than 1 billion Kenyan shillings (around $10.3 million) to finish the resettlement of the remaining internally displaced persons.
“The resettlement of 5,261 households in camps will happen this weekend, it brings to a firm end the resettlement process of all persons that have been living in camps at various stages in the country,” Ruto said, noting that money has already started being wired to the accounts of the affected families.
“We don’t expect any Kenyan household by Monday to be present in any camp. As of tomorrow, the money will be available in the IDPs’ bank accounts,” Ruto added.
Ruto said that the Kenyan government has so far compensated 28, 924 IDP households since the 2007/2008 post-election violence, with 20,170 households resettled in the last three years.
Over 90,000 people have been resettled since 2007.
The news comes just 18 months from the upcoming general election where more than 22 million voters are expected to cast their votes, IDPs in Kenya had previously demonstrated saying that they would boycott the election if they were not relocated and compensated.
Over 1,200 Kenyans died during the 2007-08 post-election violence. Ruto is facing crimes against humanity charges at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague following the events of the post-election violence.
The case against Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta was dropped by the ICC on Dec. 5 2014 following lack of evidence from the prosecution team. He was also facing charges of crimes against humanity.
© 2016, Magdalene Mukami. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
38,880 total views, no views today