Parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls blocked by army Families of kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls held up on way to rally to highlight their fate

Abducted Girls

Abducted Girls

LAGOS, Nigeria (AA) – More than 120 parents of Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram have accused the army of preventing them from attending a rally to call on the government to do more to free the girls.

The #BringBackOurGirls movement – established following the abduction of 276 girls from the northeastern town of Chibok in April 2014 – claimed the parents travelling to capital Abuja for a rally Thursday had their coaches stopped for “security reasons” late Tuesday.

The parent were due to take part in the rally and later meet President Muhammadu Buhari.

“Despite their meager income, over 120 parents were determined and paid the bus fare from Chibok to enable them to partake in the march to re-engage with the president,” the #BringBackOurGirls movement said in a statement.

The group said it had been informed that five buses were held in Chibok and Askira, both in Borno state.

“The top echelon of the military and security team reached out apologizing for the uncalled for and regrettable incident,” the statement added.

“The military has accepted and confirmed to us that it will fully handle the movement of the remaining parents to Abuja… The parents are all set to re-embark on their botched journey.”

However, the group called on the army to issue a public apology.

The kidnapping of the girls, who were taken from their school dormitory at night, sparked an international outcry that saw the likes of Michelle Obama support the #BringBackOurGirls campaign.

Less than 60 have been accounted for, with more than 200 believed to still be held by Boko Haram. Last month, Buhari said the government had no reliable intelligence on their whereabouts.

Anadolu Agency contacted the army for comment on the blocking of the parents’ coaches but received no response.

© 2016, Rafiu Ajakaye. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.

238,047 total views, no views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.