Kenya: Two killed, hundreds displaced by ethnic clashes

Kenya

Kenya

Nairobi (AA) – Two people have been killed in ethnic clashes between Maasai and Kipsigis communities in southwestern Kenya’s Narok County on Saturday.

The Re2d Cross confirmed that two people, including a child, had lost their lives and at least 200 houses had been reduced to ashes.

“Two people have lost their lives and 12 others have been left injured,” Kenya Red Cross Society Secretary-General Abass Gullet told Anadolu Agency.

“The fighting is still ongoing and we think that the number of displaced people will increase; so far over 200 houses have been torched. The injured have been rushed to Narok County hospital,” he added.

The intercommunal conflict is between Kenya’s Maasai and Kipsigis pastoral communities who dominate Narok County along the Great Rift Valley region.

The fighting is said to be over stolen livestock.

Pastoral communities in Narok have a history of fighting over animals and land.

Kenya police spokesman Charles Owino said that security has been beefed up in the area to prevent any more deaths.

“Tension is still high in the area and we have sent out additional police officers to maintain the peace,” Owino told Anadolu Agency.

© 2015, Newstime Africa. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.

129,284 total views, no views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.