LAGOS, Nigeria (AA) – Nigerian troops have rescued at least 178 hostages from Boko Haram following a military operation over the weekend that dismantled a number of the group’s camps in northeastern Borno State, according to an army spokesman.
Tukur Gusau, a spokesman for the Nigerian Army’s Seventh Division, said the offensive – which took place along the Aulari-in-Bama axis – had succeeded in clearing Boko Haram camps in Fadan, Shuwarin, Wulari, Ngoro Dauye, Jidori, Alikashiri, Kalzamari-Shuwa and Kalzamari-Kanuri, in addition to other areas.
“During the offensive, 178 people held captive by the terrorists were rescued, including 101 children and 67 women,” Gusau said in a statement issued late Sunday.
He added that one Boko Haram commander had been “captured alive” – along with a number of other group members – and was currently “undergoing investigation.”
“Troop morale remains high,” he asserted. “They are determined to build on the successes achieved so far.”
© 2015, Newstime Africa. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
16,474 total views, no views today