YAOUNDE (AA) – Cameroonian President Paul Biya on Monday vowed to maintain the fight against the Boko Haram militant group.
“The Cameroonian government will continue the fight against Boko Haram until totally uprooting it,” Biya was quoted as saying by the local media during a hearing session on the release of 27 hostages held by Boko Haram militants.
On Saturday, the Cameroonian Presidency said that 27 hostages held by suspected Boko Haram militants had been released.
The presidency said that the freed hostages, who had been abducted in May and June on border with Nigeria, included ten Chinese workers and the wife of Cameroon’s Vice-Prime Minister Amadou Ali.
Nigeria’s Boko Haram militant group has been blamed for several earlier cross-border attacks in Cameroon.
Boko Haram, which means “Western education is forbidden” in Nigeria’s local Hausa language, first emerged in the early 2000s preaching against government misrule and corruption.
The group later became violent, however, following the death of its leader in 2009 while in police custody.
In the five years since, the shadowy sect has been blamed for numerous attacks on places of worship and government institutions, along with thousands of deaths.
© 2014, Anne Mireille Nzouankeu. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
96,026 total views, no views today