DAKAR (AA) – Senegalese Health Minister Awa Marie Coll-Seck on Friday reported the country’s first confirmed Ebola infection.
At a press conference in capital Dakar, Coll-Seck said that a university student from Equatorial Guinea had tested positive for the virus.
She added that the student had been admitted to a Senegalese hospital on Tuesday to undergo medical tests.
The student, Coll-Seck asserted, had failed to tell Senegalese doctors that he had come into contact with individuals known to be carrying the virus in his native country.
The minister noted that doctors had quarantined the student who had shown symptoms of the virus.
“Results of the samples [taken from the student], which were sent to the Pasteur Institute in Dakar, turned out to be positive,” Coll-Seck said, describing the student’s current condition as “stable.”
She said Senegal had taken all necessary measures to prevent Ebola from entering the country.
Senegal shut its borders with Equatorial Guinea on August 21 as a preventative measure.
Ebola, a contagious disease for which there is no known treatment or cure, has claimed 1,552 lives in West Africa since the regional outbreak began in January.
Until now, most deaths have been registered in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia.
Six Ebola fatalities have also been confirmed in Nigeria.
The deadly tropical fever, which first appeared in 1976 in Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo, can be transmitted to humans from wild animals.
It also reportedly spreads through contact with the body fluids of infected persons or of those who have died of the disease.
© 2014, Alioune Badara. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
8,703 total views, 3 views today