JERUSALEM (AA) – The Israeli government confirmed late Tuesday that it had agreed to a ceasefire deal with Palestinian resistance groups.
“I can confirm Israel has agreed to [the] Egyptian proposition for [an] unlimited ceasefire,” Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor told Anadolu Agency.
Egypt had earlier announced a ceasefire deal between Israel and Palestinian factions in the Gaza Strip.
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said the deal called for the opening of all border crossings between the Gaza Strip and Israel, which would effectively signal the end of Israel’s years-long embargo of the coastal enclave.
The ceasefire formally came into effect at 16:00 GMT Tuesday.
In Ramallah, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas also announced the ceasefire deal.
Since hostilities first erupted on July 7, at least 2143 Palestinians, mostly civilians, have been killed – and nearly 11,000 injured – in relentless Israeli attacks, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry.
Thousands of homes across the coastal strip, meanwhile, have been partially or completely destroyed by devastating Israeli bombardments.
Over the same period, at least 69 Israelis – 64 soldiers and five civilians – have been killed, according to Israeli figures.
© 2014, Turgut Alp Boyraz. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
5,289 total views, 7 views today