TRIPOLI (AA) – Clashes erupted again on Thursday between rival militias in the Libyan capital Tripoli.
Rockets continued to fall on different districts of the capital amid a surge in violence, according to an Anadolu Agency reporter in the Libyan capital.
The death toll from the clashes, which first broke out on July 13, was not immediately clear. The Libyan government has not commented on the latest round of violence that swept through the capital yet either.
A Libyan government official, meanwhile, said around 8000 Libyan families had fled Tripoli since the clashes first erupted last month.
Nasser al-Kario, a member of the Crisis Committee at Tripoli’s Municipal Council, told AA that his committee is in constant session in a bid to offer assistance to affected families in the Libyan capital.
Yet, he complained about what he described as the “exacerbating” humanitarian situation in Tripoli, saying his panel does not have what it takes to help the affected residents.
Libya has been recently plagued by heavy fighting between a loosely organized national army and local militias that held onto their weapons following a bloody 2011 uprising that ended with the ouster and death of long-serving ruler Muammar Gaddafi.
Tripoli in particular has witnessed fierce clashes between warring militias over control of the city’s strategic facilities.
© 2014, Osama bin Hamel. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
12,136 total views, 3 views today