CAIRO (AA) – Egypt’s Health Ministry said on Saturday that it had not registered any incidence of the deadly Ebola virus, which has made a serious outbreak in some western African countries, especially in Liberia where it killed scores of people.
“Egypt is free from the virus so far,” the Health Ministry said in a statement.
It said the Preventive Medicine Department had taken several precautionary measures to prevent the virus from getting into Egypt.
The Ministry said its staff would apply strict measures to check people coming from western Africa and that they would immediately quarantine travellers who test positive to the virus or who demonstrate any of its symptoms.
It added that it also coordinates with the Egyptian Foreign Ministry to ensure that none of the Egyptians coming from these countries carries the virus.
Bahaa al-Qosi, a representative of the World Health Organization in Egypt, said Ebola is far from being a threat to Egypt or other Arab countries.
Even with this, he told reporters on Saturday that these countries have to take the necessary precautionary measures with people travelling to or from countries were a virus outbreak took place.
Ebola has killed hundreds of people in both Liberia and Sierra Leone.
© 2014, Hagar al-Dosoki. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
7,939 total views, 3 views today