JERUSALEM (AA) – Some Israeli army units have started pulling hundreds of meters out of the Gaza Strip, Israeli sources said late on Saturday.
Commander of the Golani Brigade, Ghassan Alian, said on his Twitter account that his brigade had already completed its mission in the northern part of the Gaza Strip after three weeks of work.
Alian’s force has carried out most of the operations in the Gaza Strip since the beginning of the Israeli war on Gaza on July 7.
He said the main mission of his brigade was to demolish what he described as the terror infrastructure of Gaza, particularly the strip’s tunnels.
He said his troops had also killed scores of what he described as “terrorists.
The Israeli newspaper Haaretz, meanwhile, quoted some unnamed Israeli sources as saying that Israeli troops had started to pull hundreds of meters out of the Gaza Strip.
The newspaper added that some troops were redeployed inside Israel.
Other sources said, however, that the Israeli army is still working on the demolition of the tunnels inside Gaza.
An Israeli army spokesman said earlier in the day that the army had asked northern Gaza residents to return to their homes.
Avichay Adraee, however, warned these residents that the Gaza-based Palestinian resistance movement Hamas might have planted explosives in these homes.
He added that the residents of the northern Gaza town of Beit Hanoun would not be allowed to return home yet.
Israeli military sources are saying that the army would announce within 24 hours its success in demolishing all of Gaza’s tunnels, according to Haaretz.
The sources added that the Israeli army had destroyed a number of tunnels in the past two days and that it would destroy more tunnels in the next hours.
Israel has been pounding the tiny Palestinian enclave since July 7, killing 1660 and injuring 9000 and turning thousands of homes and buildings to rubble so far.
An ambitious three-day humanitarian truce that started at 8:00am Gaza local time (0500 GMT) on Friday faltered only two hours later when Israel resumed its shelling of the southern Gaza Strip City of Rafah, accusing Hamas of breaching the ceasefire.
© 2014, Abdel-Raouf Arnaout. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
1,830 total views, 3 views today