Blantyre, Malawi, July 1 (Raphael Tenthani – Newstime Africa) – Malawi President Joyce Banda has sacked three ministers and a deputy minister and hired an agriculture economist and a veteran politician to her cabinet.
A statement issued by the Office of the President and Cabinet Monday evening says Banda has sacks Prof. Peter Mwanza as Minister of Agriculture and replaced him with an agriculture economist Dr. James Munthali. She has also sacked Water Development Minister Ritchie Muheya and replaced him with veteran politician Brown Mpinganjira.
Mpinganjira, a familiar political name in Malawi, returns to frontline government business after a long time in the political wilderness since falling out of grace with former president Bakili Muluzi over succession issues.
Former deputy Health minister Halima Daud has replaced Jennifer Chilunga-Ndaferankhande as Minister of Environment and Climate Change. Nkhotakota MP Agnes Mandebvu Chatipwa, who was deputy Minister of Gender, Children and Social Welfare, replaces Daud as deputy Minister of Health. There is now no deputy at Gender.
The rest of the cabinet remains unchanged:
Here is the full list of Banda’s new cabinet:
- President Joyce Banda who also serves as Commander-in-Chief of the Malawi Defence Force and the Malawi Police Service, Minister Responsible for Statutory Corporations, Civil Service Administration, Nutrition, HIV and AIDS, National Registration Programme, and the Green Belt Initiative
- Vice President Khumbo Hastings Kachali who is also responsible for National Relief and Disaster Management, National Public Events Office, Central Government Stores, and Department of Printing Services
- Minister of Industry and Trade Sosten Gwengwe
- Minister of Local Government and Rural Development Grace Zinenani Maseko
- Minister of Finance Dr. Ken Lipenga
- Minister of Agriculture and Food Security Dr. James Munthali -
- Minister of Lands and Housing Henry Duncan Phoya
- Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Ephraim Mganda Chiume
- Minister of Transport and Public Works Mohammed Sidik Mia
- Minister of Education, Science and Technology Eunice Kazembe
- Minister of Health Catherine Gotani Hara
- Minister of Labour Eunice Makangala
- Minister of Justice Ralph Kasambara
- Minister of Gender, Children and Social Welfare Anita Kalinde
- Minister of Defence Ken Edward Kandodo
- Minister of Home Affairs Uladi Mussa
- Minister of Mining John Bande
- Minister of Energy Ibrahim Matola
- Minister of Economic Planning and Development Ralph Pachalo Jooma
- Minister of Information Moses Kunkuyu Kalongashawa
- Minister of Tourism and Culture Rachel Patience Mazombwe Zulu
- Minister of Environment and Climate Change Management Halima Daud
- Minister of Youth and Sports Enoch Chakufwa Chihana
- Minister of Disability and Elderly Affairs Reen Kachere
- Minister of Water Development and Irrigation Brown Mpinganjira
- Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade Sam Ganda
- Deputy Minister of Local Government and Rural Development Godfrey Jeff Kamanya
- Deputy Minister of Finance Dr. Cornelius Mwalwanda
- Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Food Security Jermoth Ulemu Chilapondwa
- Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Ephraim Abel Kayembe
- Deputy Minister of Education, Science and Technology Chikumbutso John Hiwa
- Deputy of Health Agnes Mandebvu Chatipwa.(rt)
© 2013, Raphael Tenthani. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
2,772 total views, 11 views today