The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is seeking information on the whereabouts of three unknown individuals – whose photos were released on Wednesday – in connection with last year’s September 11 attacks on a United States diplomatic mission and CIA complex in Benghazi, Libya that left ambassador Christopher Stevens and three others dead.
The FBI says the three unknown individuals were present during the Benghazi attacks and might provide information to help with the ongoing investigation.
“We are seeking information about three individuals who were on the grounds of the U.S. Special Mission when it was attacked. These individuals may be able to provide information to help in the investigation,” the Bureau said in a bulletin.
Several days after the attacks, a team of FBI investigators flew to Libya to gather evidence and conduct an investigation. But a sense of exasperation started to slowly engulf many people here; regarding the Libya government’s co-operation towards the FBI agents.
Some media outlets, citing unnamed sources reported that, investigations were at a standstill because there was no access granted to FBI agents to conduct their investigation in Benghazi, and the crime scene was also not secured. The FBI was later able to conduct an investigation in Benghazi.
Ambassador Stevens was a 21-year veteran of the Foreign Service and was said to have died from injuries he suffered during the attack which was reported to have involved heavily armed militants; who assaulted the compound, engaged in an armed fight with American and Libyan security personnel and set other houses ablaze, according to the Stated Department shortly after the attacks.
The initial motive to the attacks hinted by the Obama administration, seem to have suggested that, they were an isolated incident sparked by violent protests in Arab and Muslim nations and other parts of the world in retaliation to a defamatory anti-Islamic video trailer directed by some persons in the U.S. – The Real Life of Muhammad – posted on the internet that supposedly insulted prophet Muhammad.
“We are working to determine the precise motivations and methods of those who carried out this assault. Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior, along with the protest that took place at our Embassy in Cairo yesterday, as a response to inflammatory material posted on the internet,” former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, suggested last year.
The Benghazi attacks had wider political implications as almost immediately, criticism were directed at president Barack Obama’s administration for not designating the attacks as an act of terrorism carried out by terrorists.
His statement at the White House Rose Garden, a day after the attack, ambiguously said: “No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done.”
Compounding this, five days later after the attacks, Susan Rice, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations went on several television networks and echoed Clinton’s earlier remarks and said that the attacks were connected to the anti-Islamic trailer.
At the time, Rice was rumoured as a possible successor to Hilary Clinton – who was on the verge of resigning her position as Secretary of State – but the aforementioned remarks may have considerably hurt her chances as some members of the Republican Party in the U.S. Senate publicly expressed their determination to thwart her candidacy to the post. …subsequently, her name never materialised and John Kerry was appointed, instead.
The attacks in Benghazi were particularly heart-wrenching and could not have come at an undesirable time; as they coincided with the eleventh anniversary of the Al-Qaeda attacks in the United States of America in 2001, which killed about 3000 people.
© 2013, Allieu Badara Mansaray. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
15,098 total views, 7 views today