The head of security in Maiduguri, Col Ben Ahanotu has said that about 700 people were killed in Maiduguri and that mass burials had begun there. An earlier tally of victims of the unrest, in which police battled Islamists, put the figure at 400. Life in the affected areas is now beginning to return to normal with banks and markets reopening.
The head of security said the compound of the Islamist sect behind the violence was being used as one of the burial sites because bodies were decomposing in the heat. The compound used by the Boko Haram sect was destroyed by government troops and is now smouldering rubble.
More members of the sect have been arrested in house-to-house searches across northern Nigeria and the military said most would be prosecuted. Maiduguri is the capital of Borno state but the fighting spread to cities across the north of the country and the total death toll is unknown.
A spokesman for the military said two of those killed were soldiers and 13 were police officers. The number of injured, meanwhile, is still being counted. The Red Cross had earlier said about 3,500 people fled the fighting. The violence ended on Thursday when the sect’s leader, Mohamed Yusuf, was killed by police.
The controversy surrounding his death continues. The police say he was killed in a shoot-out while he was being detained. But Col Ahanotu says he captured him and handed him over alive.
In the northern city of Borno, Police Commissioner Christopher Dega said peace and calm has returned to the city and there is normalcy around the towns and villages
© 2009, Newstime Africa. All rights reserved. – The views expressed here are purely those of the author and not necessarily those of the publishers. – Newstime Africa content cannot be reproduced in any form – electronic or print – without prior consent of the Publishers. Copyright infringement will be pursued and perpetrators prosecuted.
11,554 total views, 3 views today